3. Name THREE ways in which an operator can minimise their impact upon the environment whilst using the machine.
4. Where should the dumper’s Operator’s Manual be kept and why?
5. What is a possible consequence of using a tyre with a deep cut in the sidewall?
6. What is the purpose of a roll or ROPS frame?
7. If checking the oil level using a dipstick, why must gloves be worn?
8. A dumper is classified by a manufacturer as a six-tonne dumper. What does this mean?
9. Give FOUR reasons that may cause the dumper to tip over sideways during travel.
10. a) What is the minimum distance allowed near open trenches when travelling with a dumper and b) explain why?
11. Why must the seat belt be worn at all times?
12. List 5 requirements that must be followed if travelling on a public highway?
13. Manufacturers must give recommendations on how to travel a dumper up and down inclines. If this information is not known first hand, what is the general rule about travelling up and down slopes?
13. If setting up to work in a pedestrianised area, state THREE factors that need to be taken into account.
15. The operator is asked to tip material into a new trench. State FIVE different requirements that must be considered or implemented before tipping commences.
16. What problems and hazards can soft ground cause to a loaded dumper?
17. Give TWO reasons why the dumper operator should have an understanding of the type of spoil being transported.
19. Discharging loads whilst moving is not considered best practice. Why would this be?
20. When working in a confined area or space, name THREE hazards that can occur.
22. When forward tipping a load, the centre of gravity of the machine changes. a) What effect does this have on the dumper and b) state TWO actions to avoid accidents?
23. Operators should lower the skip fully before driving away, particularly on swivel skips. Give TWO possible consequences if this is not carried out.
24. Name THREE problems that could occur if the skip is overloaded with a dense/compacted material.
25. When parking the machine at the end of the shift, name THREE places where the dumper should NOT be parked.